How much work do I need to do to be successful?
This is a common question I get asked. The thing is you need to understand is what ever it takes. Whatever it takes does not have limitations. It appears as the year comes to a close that taking action is a common theme at the moment.
The other week I had the opportunity to listen to an Australian motivation speaker, Pat Mesiti. Pat Mesiti is a Mindset Expert sharing his strategies and teaching how you can shift old beliefs into new ones to create the income and life you like. He used a few different metaphors and one in particular, which resonated with me, was no matter how many times you wish to the universe unless you TAKE MASSIVE ACTION nothing will change. Not a lot wishing can do if you don’t take action yourself to get there.
Is there a right way?
How do you measure success? How do you define it? You need to do, find what motivates you with speed to reach your goals and level of success for your life. Another theme I was reminded of recently is never to settle for the minimum required. Common thread to success is to go above and beyond what is convenient. Here is an example: You have a family commitment this weekend so do you use that an excuse to not reach your monthly quota of activity to reach your personal goal? No I hope not.
I often get feedback on how do I find time do do the things I do. The thing is I am always effective with my time. Are you? Is it a lunch break, getting up early, waiting for an appointment, giving up on TV in the evening – I am always doing something effective with my time that aligns with my goals. This is what doing above and beyond what is convenient means.
I love meeting like-minded people. But some of you are not doing what it takes – its not a priority. How much is it costing you? One thing I learnt is to get over a mental block that it is too much. It can never be too much.
You will never get punished by taking massive action
A final take home point is to remove all negativity around you. Get rid of it
IF you are looking for immediate results in your first week don’t whine and quit because it didn’t happen.
Detach yourself from the outcome. Go for your increasing productivity and that should be your focus. Ask your self “Did I do whatever it takes today?”
Another point is to stop focusing on what the person left and right are doing and focus on what you need to do to get what you want. I love reading biographies of successful people. My bookcase is filled with stories of people who stepped out of being average to create a life of prosperity. If you want to have the success other people have the only thing you need to do –and there is no secret – no strategy the only think you need to do is whatever it takes.
Here is to a successful 2015!
Photo credits: @rmphotography
My niche is Life. For the past year or so I have had paralysis of analysis in establishing an online market brand. Paralysis of analysis is not great to be in and I see my team go through it when there is so much online training they get stuck and don’t do anything. But it has come to pass I have been blogging and learning all about online marketing since 2008 and like any accumulated knowledge it has come to fruition that I’ve learnt a lot but I lost some of that passion for blogging and the reason why I came online in the first place.
For the past year I have struggled with that damn market niche question. What is my market niche? How do I find my market niche? You can’t market without a niche they say. And once you find your niche, you need to focus it again and again. And well I have struggled with that in regards to my blog. I get it when you start with a problem that market wants to solve and you develop and market a product which meets that problem. From that you can develop a whole online marketing strategy of websites, SEO, targeted advertising and media. But when I look at my little blog on the internet sphere and what brand do I represent and what am I an Authority in (all the terms bandwagon about by the coaches and successful gurus) I get a little stuck. So before I impart with a few thousand dollars on any branding and coaching courses, I stare at the ceiling in my bed and wonder who I want to be. What is my online brand? What do I really have authority in?
I ask Nathan and he responds I am good at computer stuff as we flip over the channel to the Walking Dead.
So back to my blog.
I look at the blogs I like to follow. When I started blogging it was more about raising awareness for a trip I was taking for mental illness and I loved to read fun blog posts of gorgeous photos of people’s lives. I would read the the trials and tribulations other people had which they would have previously only ever written in their diary. I would read of adventures of travel and kids but I confess I haven’t written about my beautiful 4 year old twins in ages or announced I got engaged.
I ask my daughters what I am good at. Work is the reply.
“Not housekeeping,” Nathan chirps up.
Over the past few years I find I now know the analytics of a “good” blog post. How to structure it and get it out to social media to entice readers to read it. Solve a problem and give a call to action are the mantras. But what about writing because I want to write not to endlessly look at problems to solve?
What is my passion? What do I enjoy?
Can my niche be enough to be just Life? As I look around the café right now as I sip my cold cappuccino typing on my laptop. Is my life niche enough? I suppose there is no other Lisa just like there is no other like you. My interests span from science to entrepreneurship to mindset training to parenting and twins. So it would be absolutely impossible to find people with the exact combination of niche interests. Which is probably reflective in my high bounce rate in Google Analytics (if you are reading this take a moment to read another blog post eh? Love to lower that bounce rate ha-ha).
I have a healthy appreciation for science which others may think law of attraction and mindset training is a little wacky. I can talk and relate to parents but exchange more stories with multiple mums. I love studying and putting on my entrepreneurial hat to talk online business but that’s not everyone’s cup of tea either. I believe direct sales and network marketing is a legitimate business model but other people run a mile with fear of pyramid scams. So my blog doesn’t aim to please everyone because to tell you the truth it’s just a blog about life, my interests and what I learn and chose to share it with.
So I have come to a simple realisation that I don’t have to try that hard to be me. My niche is my life which is pretty unique enough.
P.S. I wrote this blog post free form with no Google Keyword analytics testing first. Haha Breaking away from the freedom just to blog what I want has a certain freedom around it.
Yesterday it was my birthday. Like New Years day the start of a new birthday is also a time I pause to assess my goals and New Year resolutions. So I left the family to take a walk to the local lookout and to get some breath air. Everyone knows exercise is great but keeping to a schedule and resolution to lose weight and get fit is a constant battle with almost everyone I know. I also have a wedding to plan this next 12 months and as my birthday flipped over to another year there was ever right now for another aim to lose a few kilos. No more could I say I only JUST had twins (they are 4!). So off I went up the mountain.
Exercise is also good for ideas and gets blood to flow in the brain as I let my brain ramble on how I could grow my online business. And then as I plodded along I came to a funny conclusion of how similar trying to keep fit was to growing an online business. Here were my similarities I thought of:
- Weight loss starts with a goal. Is it a kilo amount, increase energy or something else health related?
- To lose weight takes massive action and a change in behaviour. Is it exercise, change of routine, or diet?
- To lose weight you are going to have the naysayers who don’t support you by constantly offering you that glass of wine or mock your daily salad or low calorie meals
- You will meet people who jump from one diet from another reporting none of them work.
- You will be tempted to give up many times.
- Only the type of exercise you actually enjoy will keep you getting up and doing it. For instance I like walking, swimming and boxing. Thats it so I am not going to fool myself and make up a fancy routine which I am not going to keep.
Starting an online business is the same. You need to learn something new and take action every day. You need a goal let it be financial or personal reward. You will have naysayers but you need to recognise these and move on. You will have people in your team jump from one deal to another. When your business does not move fast enough and you are not getting the results you want you may be tempted to quit. The action you make in your business will go back to what you enjoy the most. Do you love meeting new people online or are you expert in a particular marketing technique. Focus and have fun and your business will follow.
But as you take each step up your metaphorically mountain just remember you are one step closer to your goal than yesterday. All the people I know who took great steps to lose weight were able to get to their goal by a change of behaviour, action and consistency. Put on your shoes and lets get walking!
What similarities did I miss?
I am so excited to write to you today because I have finally finished writing and editing my very FIRST eBook.
Why I wrote this book for you
When I started this journey in online marketing and entrepreneurship, I was working full time and also a single mum to 24 month old twin girls. If you missed my story you can pop over here to read it. So I was at a stage in my business where I was beginning to take on multiple jobs at a time and balls juggling in the air was an understatement. Soon, the dream of spending more time with my kids turned into less time with them as I was working more than ever before. My partner started to complain I was spending less time with him and always rushing away to my computer, my kids were crying under my feet wanting attention, or I’d find myself turning on the TV to entertain my kids as I was rushing back to the computer.
My health declined as I started to pile on the weight as I sat for hours on the computer, while snacking on sugar-laden coffees, ice-cream and chocolate Tim Tams!. I was crawling into bed after midnight every single night and have fitful sleep of only 5-6 hours before struggling to get to work the next morning.
The sleep deprivation was worse than when my twin babies were born! But it was all for a deep ingrained “Why” that made you cry. The “Why” that so many small business owners talk about. The “Why” that drives entrepreneurs to succeed and find solutions.
No doubt I had it but could I do it ALL.
My work in the day was starting to suffer as I began to slack off and lose concentration or even worse, waste my employer’s time on internet marketing activities (which is a real No No!!!). Don’t ruin the job that is paying you. You need your cash flow to support you until your business takes off.
But I reached a point where I finally realised had to make a change. So in this book I will share with you the secret to success online starting part-time.
I have a outlined my strategies to priorities your time with incentives, clarity of vision and exercise my team are using every day. Learn how you too can start your business online part-time by
- Establishing a Daily Schedule
- Prioritizing Time with a Point Reward System
- Knowing where, when and what to Outsource
- Plus receive my Bonus Resources!
I would love your feedback to my first book.
Have an awesome day
I have recently had the opportunity to be on the Founding Team of a company called Global Mind Mastery. However as part of bringing a new team together on a new venture we were each asked to list the 100 things we want to achieve in our lifetime. Initially the list was relatively easy. Its a personal thing to write down some of your aspirations and dreams but as I got to about 30 it became a challenge. After talking to quite a few other people who complete their list of 100 things it appears there is transitional process people go through. You see the first part of your list is easy as it hits mostly materialistic items of desire like the dream home and great car. Then it might transition to love, marriage, kids and health. Most people then focus on travel and start listing all their desirable destinations around the world. But then most people stop. They never finish their list. It took me weeks to write and re-write this list and its not perfect. But the transition I saw was once you have all you desire you start to think about what you can give back to the world.
I have learned that wanting to be abundant is a great thing because you can give back and help more people. Successful entrepreneurs come to mind and then of all their charities and philanthropic activities. When you write the list yourself I would hope you too would impart on the world to be a better place. Send me your link to your 100Things in the comments below. For now welcome to mine.
- 5 bedroom, 3 bath, 1 study home on a semi-acreage property. It has a pool, spa and a meditation retreat and view. 1,000,000 Value.
- The land is also large enough for hobby cows, chickens and a dog.
- Own a 12 X 12 auto workshop with Hoist for Nathan to pursue his auto mechanic passion
- Earn a min $30,000 + a month residual income
- A beach wedding . Twin daughters as flower girls
- Honeymoon in Cook Islands – Moana sands Hotel
- Multi-million dollar property portfolio
- Family holiday to France and Spain for 2 months
- Inspire and present to a crowd of 6000 people
- Have baby no 3 (1 boy)
- Grow a beautiful garden and a large sustainable vegetable garden
- Buy a building apartment block as part of investment portfolio
- Weekly meditations and fortnightly facials
- Motorhome road trip around New Zealand
- Breast enhancements
- Hire a Boxing personal trainer and box competitively
- Join a weekly art class
- Present my art work at my own art exhibit/show
- Learn to speak and read Spanish
- Move to Europe to live for a few years
- Go on an annual meditation and detox retreat
- Learn Burlesque and dance on stage at a show
- Learn Swing dancing
- Buy a new digital SLR camera and learn how to take professional photos
- Take the family and parents on an Australian outback adventure through the Kimberley’s and Broome
- Write a book
- Have a weekly radio program on entrepreneurship and mindset
- Trek the Grand Canyon
- Holiday in the Greek Islands of good food and culture
- Trek Mt Kilimanjaro
- Have baby no 4
- Swim with the dolphins
- Hire a tutor and re-learn the piano and practise daily
- Learn to play classical timeless piano pieces
- Give $15K each to family and friends
- Wear a pair of diamond earrings and diamond necklace
- Own a luxury Tag watch bought in Switzerland
- Learn to ride a bicycle
- Take the kids on a bike riding holiday to the Eiffel tower in France and Copenhagen
- Have a White Christmas in Europe
- Send my kids to Private high school
- Teach my kids financial independence
- Learn to Ski
- Own a BMW XG Silver
- Buy a Jet boat for Nathan
- Visit my World vision sponsored child in Bolivia and support the community in a project
- Donate to Kids Help Line
- Donate to Domestic Violence support networks
- Learn cake decorating and create awesome birthday cakes every year
- Meet Dave Sharpe and Dave Wood
- Earn $1M with Empower Network and be in the Million dollar club
- Go on an Ancient History study tour with the family through Italy, Greece, Turkey and Egypt
- Grow roses and have my own rose garden
- Complete a business/entrepreneurship Graduate Certificate at the Harvard Business School
- Visit silicon valley and meet some of the top technology/online business entrepreneurs
- Learn and implement sales and conversation hypnosis and NLP
- Go on an overseas Art tour and painting workshop with my mum
- Manage my own million dollar online internet business
- Be an authority for the latest Technological innovation trends and own the latest tools
- Go parasailing
- Support the World Scouting Association through grants in youth entrepreneurship and commercialisation
- Star in a Movie
- Hire a personal virtual assistant
- Win the Telstra Business Women’s Award
- Have laser eye surgery to fix short-sightedness
- Build a retirement home where residents can bring a pet
- Go on a shopping spree to New York, London and Paris
- Hire a personal shopper
- Hire a housekeeper
- Sponsor an orphanage and education programs for young women
- Fund and manage an annual grant for medical research in Australia
- Support medical research into dementia
- Be in the inner circle of entrepreneurs and millionaires
- Take the family on a 4 week holiday to Hawaii
- Live in Auckland New Zealand for a few years so the family can be part of the Maori culture
- Visit Denmark and meet Princess Mary and Prince Fredrick and their kids
- Own a holiday home in NSW on the country coast
- Get to and maintain a size 10 figure
- Hike to the South Pole
- Decorate my home with original art work from international artists
- Member of the Order of Australia
- Write a series of children’s books and illustrated with my mother
- Receive an Honorary degree PhD and give a Graduation Speech
- Have one day “off work” just for me
- Dye my hair pink
- Host regular family dinners for friends and family
- Have a personal chef on call
- Fly first class to London and New York
- Create 5 award winning and blockbuster mobile Apps
- Visit Claude Monet’s House and Gardens in France
- Take the family on an Alaska Cruise Vacation
- Have an annual family photo taken every year at Christmas
- Have a fortnightly date night with my husband (no kids)
- Have one weekend away with each of my children every year (one-on-one)
- Celebrate 50 years of happy marriage
- Perform in a dramatic play at the theatre
- Travel to Broome and the Australia Kimberley’s both luxury camping, helicopter and pearl farming
- Build a Family trust fund for education expenses for my grandchildren and great-grandchildren
- Support funding into aged care services and maintenance of facilities
- Die peacefully in my sleep at age 100 and have a wonderful funeral celebration
It amuses me to recall but I am not that old but when I went through high school we only just had the internet and we didn’t have social media. Somewhat I am grateful for as now I am in my 30’s it appears my age is not immune to the effects of cyberbullying in social media. You see it would be another ten years before Facebook was launched and my year 12 computer studies were limited to Microsoft Word and Excel training. I always loved to write and had numerous international pen pals over the years and my first emails carried a similar writing to online pen pals to the Scouts in the USA. As my life has grown and relationships expanded and now I am a mother, I have become fully aware of the impact of cyberbullying on the internet through constant media stories. As yet I still have ten more years before my girls become teenagers but I truly fear what the social media landscape will look like when they start opening their own online accounts.
Bullying when I was a kid was the feeling of exclusion of activities from other kids. Not always getting the in-joke and not cool enough to be invited to parties. Some parts of the bullying has actually been a personal driver for success, improving my self-esteem and being certain of the friends I hang with actually bring me up than let me down but then again I feel fortunate that I don’t have a Facebook profile that started when I was 16.
So what the hell am I talking about? What is Cyberbullying?
Cyberbullying is the use of technology to bully a person or group. Bullying is repeated behaviour by an individual or group with the intent to harm another person or group.
In the case of cyberbullying the intended harm may be social, psychological and even, in extreme cases, physical. It can cause shame, guilt, fear, withdrawal, loneliness and depression.
Because children and young people are often online it can be hard for them to escape cyberbullying. Nasty messages, videos and gossip can spread fast online and are hard to delete. Sometimes the attackers can be anonymous and hard to stop. These factors make it harder for adults to see and harder to manage.
A resource for parents on Bullying online inks and practical tips to help parents manage online risks with teens be found here: – See more at: http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/Parents/Cyber%20issues/Cyberbullying.aspx#sthash.sgo1we8y.dpuf
Cyberbullying in the Internet Marketing Industry
Since working online now for over a year building skills in internet marketing, social media marketing is one tool a lot of leaders use to generate online traffic and build a reputation. And recently it has been my great dismay reading so many Internet Marketing leaders promoting popularity by their daily rants against people new to the industry. Daily rants that include the name of a person to ridicule is one such tactic that is clearly an act of cyberbullying and one I too was a victim recently after emailing a particular profiled Internet Marketer a question about a marketing tactic where my name was published and ridiculed on her wall. After a succession of rebuttal comments about this disgusting behaviour before the post was deleted and an apology sent, still has me shaken up. Internet Marketing is a competitive industry and also can be bloody nasty and ego’s rampant. So my recommendation to you is to choose your leaders well for their ethics and values and not just because they earn the most dollars.
Cyberbullying and Parenting
I also see Cyberbullying in all forms with parents and on online mother’s forums. Other mums ridiculing, intimidating or excluding you on how you parent your child. Another incident only just this week had me reeling as well. A person I had known for a very long time who is also a Primary School teacher and mother herself took a photo of someone else’s child without their mother’s permission and posted it on her page to joke about her size in comparison to her own child. Apparently it was seen as ok if you put a sticker on the child’s face and any comment to the contrary was responded with a rant of how “sensitive people are and it’s JUST a JOKE?” Unsurprisingly I was “unfriended” for my reply that yes it did disturb me.
What you can do to respond to Cyberbullying
No I am not over reacting. Why is it people think behind the computer they can ridicule people whereas they may consider twice if it was to your face? When I see and experience stories like these I think its time to reconsider the newsfeed that scans down my eyes on a daily basis. Essentially your social media newsfeed is your account and a reflection of the online friends you have made and the communities and pages you have liked. To take back control of any content that disturbs you is to feel empowered to block, delete, unlike and remove it from your account.
Some recommendations say to ignore the person if you are a victim of an attack or something that is posted about someone else that does not feel right and I am in two minds of this. One I recommend you not to reply in haste but leave it awhile before responding. Secondly I also think if it disturbs you enough to respond than its OK too as long as you target the behavior as incorrect and not the person which is a common strategy for providing negative feedback.
Last thoughts. If you see cyberbullying online, take the courage to speak out. You are not silly or insensitive as there are other people who may also feel the same but are too afraid to speak up. Be smart and take control and recognize what cyberbullying is and take action against cyberbullying.
I would love to hear your comments below.