Shock horror! Seriously if you ever wanted to start your own business join a party plan business just to get your feet wet. I have had friends become Tupperware Demonstrators, & Intimo Consultants and I have attended my fair share of jewellery, candle and linen parties.
Lessons Learnt being a Tupperware Demonstrator:
The benefits of joining these businesses are
- You already have a product (which hopefully you love so it is an easy sell).
- The administration is already organised.
- You learn new skills and Training is provided.
- Most have zero upfront starting fees.
- The marketing material is already provided.
- There is a support network and team with managers wanting you to do well.
- There is a rewards program (in addition to money there is usually free products, cars and trips overseas)
- You meet new people and make friends through customers and colleagues.
- It is a great second job if you work full time or are a mum. An extra $500 a week doing a party of two was fabulous.
- You work around your own commitments.
As my Tupperware Manager used to say, “It is your Business. You put in what you get out.”
With these benefits in mind I stayed with Tupperware for 3 years and I had a lot of fun. Of course there were the annoying customers and the dud parties where no one turned up.
I also had my fair share of trying moments:
- The night I went home after
driving all the way to the Gold Coast and got a speeding fine (there went my earnings),
- The time I forgot a major ingredient in the 5 Minute microwave chocolate cake after it starting cooking (major flop)
- The night my Tupperware Manager and I demonstrated for a party of two guests, signed them up and then they vanished from all contact and never picked up their orders,
- The day I arrived an hour late because I got the time mixed up,
- The massive fundraiser we organised with the Royal Brisbane Hospital to raise money for Breast Cancer – Cups4Cups. It was a high-tea with guest speakers and demonstrators. However all that effort and marketing barely made a profit after the expenses,
- The time I went to a party, after emailing and confirming the date and time only to arrive and no one was home,
- And lastly the Party I did when only two hours before I found out I was pregnant.
Now I have three cupboards overflowing with Tupperware and a converted partner who takes his green sandwich keepers to work everyday.