Yesterday it was my birthday. Like New Years day the start of a new birthday is also a time I pause to assess my goals and New Year resolutions. So I left the family to take a walk to the local lookout and to get some breath air. Everyone knows exercise is great but keeping to a schedule and resolution to lose weight and get fit is a constant battle with almost everyone I know. I also have a wedding to plan this next 12 months and as my birthday flipped over to another year there was ever right now for another aim to lose a few kilos. No more could I say I only JUST had twins (they are 4!). So off I went up the mountain.
Exercise is also good for ideas and gets blood to flow in the brain as I let my brain ramble on how I could grow my online business. And then as I plodded along I came to a funny conclusion of how similar trying to keep fit was to growing an online business. Here were my similarities I thought of:
- Weight loss starts with a goal. Is it a kilo amount, increase energy or something else health related?
- To lose weight takes massive action and a change in behaviour. Is it exercise, change of routine, or diet?
- To lose weight you are going to have the naysayers who don’t support you by constantly offering you that glass of wine or mock your daily salad or low calorie meals
- You will meet people who jump from one diet from another reporting none of them work.
- You will be tempted to give up many times.
- Only the type of exercise you actually enjoy will keep you getting up and doing it. For instance I like walking, swimming and boxing. Thats it so I am not going to fool myself and make up a fancy routine which I am not going to keep.
Starting an online business is the same. You need to learn something new and take action every day. You need a goal let it be financial or personal reward. You will have naysayers but you need to recognise these and move on. You will have people in your team jump from one deal to another. When your business does not move fast enough and you are not getting the results you want you may be tempted to quit. The action you make in your business will go back to what you enjoy the most. Do you love meeting new people online or are you expert in a particular marketing technique. Focus and have fun and your business will follow.
But as you take each step up your metaphorically mountain just remember you are one step closer to your goal than yesterday. All the people I know who took great steps to lose weight were able to get to their goal by a change of behaviour, action and consistency. Put on your shoes and lets get walking!
What similarities did I miss?